Monday 3 June 2013

Day 33 Villar de Mazarife to Hospital de Órbigo

This morning the retired German couple were up early. I was having none of it, stayed in my sleeping bag as it was cold. 
I finally emerged at around 7am and proceeded with the normal packing procedure.

I left around 8ish and walked through the town. I bumped into the two German ladies that I see from time to time. I don't know their names but we always greet one another.

The first 5 km's were along a tarred road, not exactly good for shins, I walked like a snail.  The views around me of farmlands and the mountains were beautiful. I thought to myself, where would I rather be, behind a desk in an office or this freedom being out in nature. I guess savouring the moment of just how fortunate I really am rang home to me.
The next 5km's were on paths and an old farm road next to water ducts. I could hear those Spanish frogs, made me think of Meme. The two of us had a good laugh at the "Spanish Frogs". They are very loud and you can hear them croaking a mile away. 
I finally reached the town of Villavante and stopped for a bit of breakfast. I connected to the wifi and I got a Skype call from Rowanne Bowden. It was so good to have a chat with her again. A little business seed was planted in the process.
I knew then I only had about 5km's to go, I enjoyed the walk on the farm roads. There was nobody in sight, I was all alone again, for a moment I wondered if anyone was doing the Camino today. 
I walked into the town of Hospital de Órbigo, a beautiful town. I checked into Albergue La Encina, a nice new one. 
It's has 4 bunk beds in a room with a bathroom. 
Jayne checked into another Albergue and we met up later in the afternoon for a drink and a pilgrim dinner.

The Puente de Órbigo bridge in Hospital de Órbigo is one of the best preserved medieval bridges in Spain dating from the 13 century. It's a lovely little town to spend an afternoon wondering around.

That was 15km's for the day.

Off to Astorga tomorrow.













4 comments:

  1. The weather is obviously improving looking at the shorts. Lost a lot of weight and definitely very fit is the message from the photo. Being so ahead of your schedule will make the remainder of the journey without stress permitting a bit of time to smell the roses. Great chatting with you on Skype yesterday.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darren, you are doing so well! All your pictures are so beautiful. I love looking at the buildings in the different towns. I can only imagine the growth (not only the beard) that has taken place within yourself is incredible. What I love about your blog is that I had never heard about this walk until I started following your journey, so thank you for this, as I am completely hooked. Love all the info you give every day.
    Stay strong Gillian xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good Darren, fabulous photos! Stay well and travel safe.
    Tina XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Spanish frogs sure sound different from the Canadian frogs. Looking great in the picture. Some of my friends are still following your blog. Keep up the great walk. Meme

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.