Tuesday 18 June 2013

Day 48 Palas De Rei to Melide

This morning I woke up without some pilgrim scratching in a bag. A Pensión is really a great place to stay after a night of minimal sleep the night before.

I set off alone this morning, it was cold, not a cloud in the sky. There were a lot of pilgrims leaving Palas De Rei.
At least the route out of town took me along beautiful paths in the forests. I bumped into Resi but she was taking a slow 25km walk today.
I had no intentions of being slow without a booking for a bed.
I walked through a town called San Xulián do Camiño, a typical Camino village with a 12 century church dedicated to St Julian. 
I walked on to a town called Casanova, next to the Albergue I found the Sello (Stamp) table. I stamped my Camino passport and walked on.  
I kept watching the way marks, its really become a count down to the end. 
By this stage hunger had set in so I decided to stop in O Coto the first town in the province Coruña. I relaxed for about 30mins.
I then walked on in the forest over a medieval bridge into a very small Camino village called Leboreiro.
The path wound its way around the industrial area and into a forest again. 
I suddenly realised I had no photos of myself for the day, I asked a Spanish pilgrim to take a few with my Camera.
I then crossed over the Ponte Velha Furelos medieval bridge into the traditional village called Furelos. I really liked this little village stuck in the 12th century. It would be a lovely place to stop if you had a planned Camino.
I walked on into the centre of Melide and found restaurants cooking pulpo apparently the town is famous for it.
It's not exactly something I would like to try. 
I walked to the centre and found a brand new Albergue, so I checked into O Cruceiro, with only 6 beds per room. They have clean facilities and a washing machine. 
I would not say Melide is a great town with its 8000 population. It has a typical business district.

That's my story for the day.





























2 comments:

  1. Mom shared your Cameno pilgrimage with the Merrow Down church congregation yesterday and you received an ovation from all for approaching the end of the journey. Everyone was in awe at your commitment given the distance. Only 4 knew about it.
    The end is certainly in sight so you can take it easy. Looking at the weather report, rain is forecasted along the way for you. Fortunately, you do not have to walk if you do not want to.
    We are very proud of you and with you all the way.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the octopus you are supposed to try. Think might have to pass on that too. Great pictures of the long and winding path. There's that bridge again, must be one in every town along with the church steeple. Are you still eating tortillas and an espresso at each stop? How's the vegetable situation? Just a few days left, Im so happy for you to have made it so far not that there was any doubt. Savour the moments and smell the lupins. Miss you.
    Meme

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.