Monday 17 June 2013

Day 47 Gonzar to Palas De Rei

After one of the worst nights of sleep ever I somehow managed 17km's today.

The Camino rush was on and some people were up at 5am making a noise. I was not impressed but I guess some people have deadlines.
I got up, showered, packed the backpack and headed for breakfast.
At least the Albergue made me a yummy French omelette with cheese in it. I skipped the bread which made me feel great.

We said our goodbyes to Nancy as she was heading on to do 33km's. She sent her backpack on and booked into a hotel. It's the type of thing you do when you need to make up time.
Resi, Alex and I left at around 8:15am. We walked together for a while and bumped into the two Australian ladies we met last night.
They had picked two leaves off a Eucalyptus tree and were using them as a mouth organ. It was simply one of those fun mornings.
We walked through Castromaior and Hospital de la Cruz, two very small Camino towns.
We stopped at Ventas de Narón for a coffee break. 
It started raining after we left, fortunately not very hard. It felt like a cold wet day in Cape Town.
We walked through Ligonde, Eirexe and Calzada in light rain.
I checked into a Pensión called Arcos in Palas de Rei.
It's only 65km's to Santiago, I am watching the count down on the way marks. It seems surreal to me.

Fortunately, Resi, Alex and I are in the same town this evening. We are enjoying the social time and working through Camino emotions.
It's been a rather heavy dinner and we suddenly realised neither of us had taken any photos of one another today. We swopped cameras a quickly took some photos. As of tomorrow we may not see one another again, our timelines differ somewhat. Memories I will treasure for the rest of my life.

That is my story for today.




















2 comments:

  1. Hi there! You look great and as always, your entries and pics are so enjoyable! Its almost "the end" Dar - I can hardly believe it! WHAT an experience it must have been thus far! I can just imagine how very much "life changing" it has been for you and I'm sure that once you are back in SA, your life will take on a very different path! Here is to many new beginnings for you! Proud of you! Rolene <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 65km left!!!! WOW - you can be so very proud of yourself Darren. You're such an inspiration. That said...I don't want your blog to end! ;-) x Louise T

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.