Wednesday 5 June 2013

Day 35 Astorga to El Ganso

What a wonderful night of rest in the Gaudi hotel. I emerged just before 7am and joined Colston and Iris for breakfast. 
The days in a hotel give the opportunity to take your time in the mornings and I did just that.
I left the hotel around 8:30am and strolled through the top end of Astorga until I reached the pilgrim track. It's always better being off the roads as much as possible.

I reached Murias de Rechivaldo after about 5km's. I came across a pub/restaurant in this lovely town. I found Iris, Colston, Christelle, Ingrid and Andy having a break. It's just so amazing when you meet up with the Camino family, you never alone.
I must say walking on my own works for me now. The minute I walk with somebody I battle with my speed and stop listening to the body. The pitstops are the meeting places for socials and that's it.

The scenery was just beautiful, I cannot get over how much lavender is growing everywhere. How very fortunate I am to experience all of this.
I arrived in Santa Catalina, a population of 50 people. The village supported a pilgrim hospital in the past.  It was time to stop for a sock change as it was rather warm today.
I have never in my life been so conscious of my feet. I have seen some horrendous things on this Camino.
On the route I caught up with Colston and Iris, we walked together into a village called El Ganso, a crumbling little village. The village does not have  a shop but they do have two bars.
It is a semi-abandoned village although it seems the Camino has bought restoration.
Iris, Colston and I checked into Albergue Gabino, we were early so I got a great bed in a corner. Then Carole walked in, more Camino family, they are all around. Carole moved beds to the bunk above mine, helps knowing the person in your close proximity.
I handed in my washing and headed to the pub with Carole for a beer.
I met a young American lady and her Canadian friend. They took my details as they want me to arrange an SA trip for them in the next year. 
Here it all starts, my new career is germinating. I am so excited about it.

Today was simply wonderful, the walk was great and scenery beautiful.
I am pleased I reserved energy today as tomorrow the serious uphills start again.






















2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, scenery so beautiful today, cant believe all the lavender!! Looking well good nights rest and happy walking tomorrow Love Mom & Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day bob - your future is revealing itself in the midst (or as a result?) of the most incredible journey - so envious! Just makes me want to pack up & join you. Watching & listening to you over the weeks, I cant believe how you have grown into such a strong traveller (and good story teller!) Lots of love bob xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.