Tuesday 4 June 2013

Day 34 Hospital de Órbigo to Astorga

There was a terrible rush this morning. The two guys in my dorm felt the need to get up at 5am. At least I had my earplugs safely in place. The advantage of them leaving at 6:30am was having an entire room and bathroom to myself after that. 
I left at 7:30am, not an owner of the Albergue around. I let myself out and hit the road.
That was the start of one of those days of not being in the mood to walk. Every single step was a huge mission, felt like I was dragging my feet. I was walking at no more than 4km/h.
I met up with the two German ladies who started the Camino in León two days back. Christelle and Ingrid totally underestimated what a 20km walk with a backpack is all about, they will need to catch a bus to be on time. We took a few pics of one another, it helps when you alone.
After about 3km's I stopped for breakfast in a town called Villares de Órbigo. I met up with a 17 year old Dutch girl that I had seen on the road to Mazarife two days before. She did the first half of the Camino with her father. At the end of the Camino she is going to work on the organic farms in Portugal. It's just as well I am not in my 20's, I don't think a city would see me for some time.
Then the great long slog to Astorga began, I could not find my rhythm today at all. I tuned into nature to try and help, it makes a difference when you look at flowers and listen to the birds instead of your feet.
I stopped to remove socks and shoes three times to try and ensure I was blister free, not easy when the temperatures rise. I am just thankful there was no rain and mud.
I slowly moved towards Astorga and just before I got to the Cruceiro Santo Toribio I came across Iris and Corston, what a wonderful surprise, had not seen them for almost 10 days. We decided to walk together and chat our way into Astorga.
We stopped for coffee at San Justo de la Vega about 3.5km's outside of Astorga.
It was a long day as I only checked in to the Gaudi hotel at 13:20
My room has a view of the cathedral and the Gaudi Palacio Episcopal.
I entered the bathroom and found a bath, pure bliss this afternoon. 
I was so tired that I needed to lie down for about two hours. The heavy walking does catch up with you from time to time.  The Spanish siesta really helps as I needed to rest at that time. At 17:30 I played tourist and visited the Gaudi Palacio Episcopal, the museum and cathedral. It felt like I was on holiday.
I joined Iris and Colston for dinner in the hotel, rather upmarket in comparison to what we have been having on a daily basis.

After a not so great day of walking the luxuries of the hotel and playing tourist made up for it.









































2 comments:

  1. WOW! this cathedral is absolutely beautiful. such lovely pics Darren - thank you. you are looking so well. keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing experiences & pics bob - what an incredible journey! You are really having an experience of a lifetime & it's incredible to watch you from afar :)) Keep strong, love bob xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.