Friday 14 June 2013

Day 44 Samos to Sarria

Anneke and Marcus woke me up at about 6:45am. I did not want to get up, so I remained in my sleeping bag.
We said our goodbyes and then I had a room to myself again. 

Last night I made a booking in Sarria as it's the start of the Camino for some and Albergue's fill up quickly.
This is the part of the Camino that requires some planning and I don't really like it. I will have to go with the flow I guess. Sarria is the final starting point for the Camino, people with limited time take this option in order to receive the Compostela.

I managed to leave at around 8:15am, seems to be my normal time these days. It could get earlier further down the line. 

I walked out of the town and the Camino path went up into the mountains. It's the first morning I removed my jacket before 9am. I really hope summer has finally arrived.
It was quiet again, nobody around but  birds in the trees and sound of flowing water. I was savouring every moment as I knew what was coming when I arrived in Sarria. It was more than 3 hours of me time, something I love when out in nature.
The path took me through very small farming villages called Gorolfe, Sivil and San Mamed del Camino.
At least San Mamed del Camino had a bar, I managed to get some brunch.

I got into Sarria around 1:30pm. The temperatures were around 25 degrees, by far the warmest day I have experienced on the entire Camino.
I checked in Casa Matías I nice Pensión with my own room and bathroom. It's a little off the Camino route but the owner showed me how to get back on the Camino easily.

At this stage doing more than 15km's a day will not be the norm as I have enough time. I am trying to enjoy my last week and a bit of the Camino before it's all over.

I stopped in a bar this evening for a pilgrim menu to refuel for tomorrow.

Today I have realised there are no more Camino family that I know, some have finished, others dropped out and a few slightly ahead of me.
It's all changing and maybe that's a good thing.

Sarria has a population of 13700. 
It was in Sarria where King Alphonse IX, died in 1230 on pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. 

That's my story for today, short and sweet. 


































3 comments:

  1. The rural side is contrastingly quite starkly with the old towns. Trust you enjoyed your last day of tranquility. The next chapter will bring its own challenges and interesting pilgrims. Variety is the spice of life. "min dae" can't believe how the time has raced by.
    Love, Mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some really magical pics D - absolutely gorgeous - enjoy! Glenda x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pics are awesome bob - what an achievement to only have 100km to go! So proud of you. Now you can relax into your last two weeks & savour every moment of such an amazing life experience - the people & places you have encountered must have been so enriching - a real journey of the soul & eyes :)))) lots of love xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.