Sunday 9 June 2013

Day 39 Ponferrada to Cacabelos

This morning I woke up before 7am. I proceeded to do the normal pack up and go type thing. 
I went downstairs around 7:30am and settled the bill. 
I walked out and met a Canadian named Janne. It was her first day on the Camino and she wanted someone to walk with her for the first few km's. I told her it was my 39th day, that's when all the questions followed.  At that point I realised I was a seasoned Camino pilgrim. There are a few things I know about this route and how to handle it.
By the time I got into Columbrianis I was hungry, Janne and I parted ways as I needed to eat. 
I took a photo of the Ermita San Blas y San Roque the site of the original pilgrim hospice with a colourful pilgrim mural. I stopped for breakfast    to refuel.
The walk was great, some farmer planted cherry trees on the pavement, clearly for pilgrims, I picked and ate a few. This is what I call being out and about feeling the freedom. A moment I cannot repeat again, I am  so blessed to enjoy the nature on a daily basis.
I walked on and arrived in Fuentes Nueves, a sleepy little village with a couple of pilgrims on the sidewalk having coffee and a snack.
It's a little town I could spend the night. I love this part of Spain, the gardens are beautiful. I am feeling so earthed in this area, possibly the vineyards reminding me of home.
2.5km's later I was in a town called Camponaraya, a modern town, fortunately it was Sunday. I did however find a restaurant that made me a bacon and cheese sandwich.  A little more fuel that I did not really need, at that point I did not know I was going stop earlier than planned.

The walk out of Camponaraya was uphill to start with a long downhill after that. I zoned out walking through the vineyards, some of the farmers were doing a summer prune and views of the mountains were spectacular. I had this feeling I needed to stop in Cacabelos, Dawn mentioned on Facebook last night that its awesome. 
I walked straight past Moncloa de San Lázro and then turned around and went in. That's when I realised that I was in a very special place.
I got to reception and the lady could not speak English, she called the owners daughter who could speak English. I was a little early to check in  so they packed my backpack away, then they poured me a wine and gave me food, they do it for all pilgrims. I was shocked by these lovely people. 
While I waited in the bar for my room to be prepared an orchestra was playing, they were all teenagers. It's just what I needed after 15km's.
They came to call me when my room was ready, wow what a stunning room with a nice big bath.

One of the biggest things that hit me today was walking past a sign and on it was, "194km's to Santiago". I am now in the 100's and that is rather scary, where did the time go ?
I am not ready for this to end just yet.






























4 comments:

  1. Love the big glass . That shop looks kind of neat, can't quite tell what they are selling...jellies? I am surprised that there was fruit on the trees at this time.lucky you. Have a good walk tomorrow a d watch the knee on ten way down. Meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pics look great Darren and so do you! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure you are not ready for all of this to end; so are we. The blogs have become the highlight of our days and we cannot imagine being without it. Everyone is so detailed and interesting with beautiful pics to boot giving the feeling of experiencing it with you. Good to see the locals are looking after the pilgrims. Love Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place - wine & music after a good day on the Camino - doesn't get much better :) You are really sounding like a seasoned pilgrim there. I can imagine you are not ready for this to end. You have really got into it now. Enjoy every minute - a very special experience. Lots of love bob xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.