Wednesday 19 June 2013

Day 49 Melide to Arzúa

It was a wonderful morning. The men's dorm I was in had a bunch of late sleepers. I was the first to rise at 7am. What a bargain, maybe the rush may just be over when you get this close to Santiago.

I looked out the window and all I could see was a very cold and wet morning. 
The rain in Spain was falling mainly in Galacia as predicted.
That kind of slowed me down even more. I did the usual pack the backpack process. It was time to take out the new contraption, not yellow this time but army green. Time to cover up yet again.

I headed out into what is known as a cold Cape wet winter morning.
It was not exactly my idea of fun, never the less I had done this before, so just cope, I thought to myself.

I walked in what I call rain forests, as the wind blows so you get soaked in a big way. I had to laugh as two elderly Spanish guy's were screaming as it happened. I walked passed them and we shared a good laugh together about the rain forests.

I walked through a small town called Boente with very little going on, so I proceeded to carry on.
After another 2.3km's I got to the town called Castañeda. It was time for breakfast, I stopped at a restaurant. They served me a Ham&cheese French omelette with sliced tomato's, I was thrilled, avoiding bread at every opportunity I can get.
I headed on in the rain as I wanted to make some headway.
I eventually arrived in Ribadiso and felt like checking in. A further 3.1km's would get me to Arzúa so I walked on, I was wet anyway.
I checked into Pensión Arzúa, got my own room with a shower. It was just what I needed.
I did not reflect on much today as I was concentrating on every step in the mud.
I have taken very few photos due to the rain.












3 comments:

  1. Certainly looked the Cape winter part. You looked well prepared for it, almost did not recognize you under all the protection.
    I believe tomorrow will be better from the report.
    Go man go, almost there, be strong.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck, what a day! First time I'm glad I'm not there....well not really. Love the rain coat, I also had to look carefully to see if the bear was you in there. So excited that you are so close. Will you arrive Fri? Wow, I just can't imagine how good you will feel that you did it. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed that you just press on....even in those wintery conditions, being so close to the end it must have been tempting to just stay indoors and wait for tomorrow and hopefully better weather...I would have, but I suppose I am not in the determined, focussed headspace that you are in! Fantastic Darren you have done so well.
    Lots of love

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.