Saturday 1 June 2013

Day 31 Mansilla de las Mulas to León

Today I was in shock when I received a message from my mother. 
My childhood friend Lawrence Kruger passed away suddenly this morning. My thoughts are with Auntie Esme, Dominique and Jared during this time of bereavement.
Yet again I am reminded of how precious life really is. RIP Lawrence.

This morning I set off around 7:30am, the first morning without a cold wind, much to my delight.
At least I could take my jacket and beany off.
I walked through the town of Villarente on a path that takes you over the river. 
The route after that was rather warm without any shade. I stopped in Arcahueja for a break before the final 10km's to León.
On my way into León a guy on a bicycle stopped next to me. I met Alfonso from Madrid, he was tired of cycling so he walked and chatted to me. He kindly used his GPS to find my hotel. I bought him a beer and we had lunch together. He then headed off for another 20km's for the day.
Jayne sent me a whatssapp to let me know she was still in León, rather awesome  that some of the Camino family were in town.
Later on I bumped into Gon again, seems like my longing for the Camino family was answered.
Then I received an email from Carole,  she lives in Australia and we have been chatting on the Camino Forum for months. She was also in town.
Jayne, Carole and I had a lovely dinner together.

The city of León has so much history,  the cathedral is really beautiful and I was privileged to stay in a hotel next to it. The resident population is 130000.

That's my short story  for today after 19km's.



































3 comments:

  1. Hi bob - just caught up with your pics & blog etc - have missed being up to date with you. I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your childhood friend - my thoughts are very much with you, sending a big hug & hope you find peace & comfort as you walk. You are in a very spiritual zone & I hope it gives you strength. Sending lots of love, bob xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darling, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It is so hard when you are so far away but I'm sure his family knows you are thinking about them.
    You are looking very skinny, time for some new trousers yet? Still eating tortillas or ham and cheese sandwiches with espresso? You are doing so well lately, hope the knee is holding out , oh ya and the shin.. soundstage Laura and Jamie are travelling together again, for now anyway.
    Thinking about you and wishing I could just hop a plane to finish the walk. Xo meme

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your friend Darren! very sad, the consistent message to us all seems to be that Life is Short! don't waste a moment, and you are in the wonderful position of being able to say that you aren't. Love the bushy beard. You are looking great, keep it up! lots of love

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.