Friday 31 May 2013

Day 30 El Burgo Ranero to Mansilla de las Mulas

The Camino rush started at 5:30am, most annoying but I guess some people have mileage to complete.
For me it was another 18km day, I was determined to be in León by Saturday. 
I set off around 7:30am, it was not very exciting for about 12km's. A modern path running alongside a road. I realised I was in the mood for a city again.
I really missed my Camino family this morning. I thought to myself where is Linda, Meme, Laura, Jayne, Amanda and Angela. The few people I consider my Camino family. 
To me the scenery was not great and that made the walk a lot more difficult. It was a simple case of one foot in front of the other and plod along.
I must say the mind travelled to so many different places. It's these times that I obtain clarity on so many things.
I somehow managed to smell the roses and actually enjoyed the walk.

I arrived in Reliegos at around 10:30am, had something to eat at the Albergue restaurant.
That left me with just over 6km's until my rest spot for the night. 
At least the scenery had improved and it felt like I was out of the wilderness of nothingness.

I arrived in Mansilla de las  Mulas around 12:00 and checked in at Albergue El Jardín del Camino.
It's great arriving early as I could pic my bed.
I showered and then had my washing done by the washing machine. It can be luxury on the Camino.
I then ordered myself two fried eggs and chips, just divine I tell you.
It was really nice meeting some people today especially the three retired Australian ladies. We shared some good Camino laughs together.

Mansilla de las Mulas has a population of 1900. The name of the town comes from Mano en Silla (hand on the saddle), it also defines the town's coat of arms. 
De Las Mules (of the mules), dates back to the prominence of the livestock market.

I went for a walk in the town this afternoon. I walked through the remains of what was "The Door of Saint James", only the side walls remain. Then I followed the Camino route passed the Iglesia de Santa María into the tiny square and walked back to the Albergue.

I enjoyed a lovely pilgrim meal with the Australian ladies and a very interesting lady by the name of Veronica.
Veronica is in her 70's and she has been walking the Camino in the opposite direction. She has been doing various Camino's in Europe since the early 90's. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her stories and all the knowledge she has. We are now Facebook friends.

That's my story for the day.

























2 comments:

  1. Hi fuxxy, I love the last picture of you chilling with the 2 pilgrims who look like they are stuck in one place. You are certainly not with them!
    You are doing so well. Hope the knee and shin have stopped bothering you.. canyon believe it is june1st. You've been at it a month. I bet you are a different person in many ways. By the time, r I write this you are probably Leon. Font sorry I'm there either every step of the way. Actually I'm so tempted to come back and meet you for the last 100 but don't worry I have too much going on at home. Keep walking for me. Meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. That track next to the tar road looks ver boring. Bet the next stint to Leon will be more interesting. News about Lawrence a shock bringing an emotion of great sorrow for the Kruger family.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.