Sunday 26 May 2013

Day 25 Fròmista to Villarmentero de Campos

This morning I woke up early for no apparent reason. Clearly I had slept enough considering I only walked 6km yesterday. Enjoyed a sandwich and espresso in the bar before my walk.

I set off around 8:30am, the shin was a bit tight so I kept the pace between 3.5km/h and 4km/h.

Last night I made a booking in the town of Villarmentero de Campos. It was my way of forcing myself to walk no more than 9.3km's today.
It's very easy to just carry on walking. That is what people do here on the Camino, we walk and we walk and we walk some more just because we can.  I have seen people with serious blisters walking 30km's in one day, not good at all. You get into a zone of walking, I think the average hiker would understand this phenomenon.
As I was walking out of town, I met up with a British lady in her 50's. 
The Camino for her is split in two, half now and the rest in Sept. A nice fun way of doing it if the finances allow.
After 3.5km's I arrived in Población de Campos, a quaint town. I popped in at the pub for a  Kas Lemon, my favourite soft drink in Spain.
I sat down on a chair in the street and noticed somebody coming down the road. It was Minoro, the Japanese man, I really thought he would be miles ahead of me.  There are no coincidences in life, we obviously needed to chat some more. This time I took a pic of the two of us. He asked me one question, "When are you coming to Asia ? " I told him I will, not sure when.  
We walked together for 5mins. The Camino then offers an option, the normal route or the one via Villarmentero de Campos. I had a booking in place so we parted ways yet again. 
Ahead of me was a dusty path next to the road to Revenga de Campos.
After a few minutes an Irish man in his 60's caught up to me, any snail could right now. We chatted for about 30 mins and then parted ways just before entering the town of Revenga de Campos. 
I stopped off in the town for another Kas Lemon, I think I keep them in business. I walked around the church and it seemed like the choir was practicing. Everything just seemed lovely and peaceful. I was in no hurry at all.
On the way out of town there was a picnic shaded spot, it was time to become sleeveless. The second time on the Camino without a top. At least it's warming up a bit. 
I then walked on very slowly and the shin felt good, clearly healing now.

Around 12pm I arrived in Villarmentero de Campos and checked in at Casona de Doña Petra.
It was good to stop and relax.

Not a lot to report today.
































3 comments:

  1. As usual a very professional account of your journey today albeit it short. We cannot quite appreciate the experiences but whatever they are we feel you are managing admirably. We are proud of you.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Darren, you are doing so well. Just keep that shin strong. All your pictures are so beautiful. I like all the info you give in your blog, it is so interesting to read. Hey, that beard makes you look like George Michael !!! Lol. It is so amazing the people you meet along the way and each of them have some amount of impact on your life. Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to be doing so well despite the injuries.
    Thank you so much for Cecile's stone!
    Today I really missed you lots but now I already feel better having seen your face and read about this amazing journey you are experiencing. The photos are absolutely beautiful!
    Keep Strong!
    Lots of Love, Lynette.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.