Monday 6 May 2013

Day 4 Viskarret to Zubiri

Woke up this morning after a decent nights sleep, the first since I left home. The body needed the rest.
Guess what ?? Sunshine, how totally fabulous.
Keep the comments coming everyone, I love it and need all the support.

After a lovely breakfast we said goodbye to our fellow Pilgrims and the fabulous Pensiòn owners.
On the way out of Viskarret we popped in at the supermarket for some padkos. It's not so easy to find a shop open on a Sunday afternoon in the rural parts of Spain.

We headed out of town into some dense woodland until we came across a tiny farming town of Linzoáin, from there it was uphill in a big way. I found it relatively easy at this point, probably getting stronger.
The path continued along a ridge and the Pasos de Roldán to Alto de Erro (Altitude was then 810m).
The experience of walking in these woodlands (forests) was amazing.
The wind was whispering through the trees like I have never heard it in my life. Linda and I decided to stop and smell the roses, actually the flowers.
The colours of trees with sun shining through were a golden colour, it was beautiful. At this point I felt so profoundly blessed, a tearful moment. I knew then it was time to place the two stones Rob gave me for his Mom and Dad. I found the perfect spot on one of the Camino signs (many people do this) It was rather an emotional moment for me.
After doing this we headed straight down to Zubiri, a bit heavy on my right knee this time not sure why normally it's my left.
I could not face a hostel so we headed for a Pensión, a room with two beds just what the doctor ordered.
Off loaded the bags and muddy shoes, got our Camino stamp from Pensión Goikoa. Then headed straight for the shower.
There was a washing machine, 5 Euro a load. Hung the washing outside the windows, had to be careful not to drop anything as we were 4 stories up.
The owner told us to hurry down to the supermarket as it was about to shut for Siesta. I found some very lekker corn cakes, Rob they were even better than Woolies. Then I bought some butter and good mature cheese. Quick lunch made in our pensiòn kitchen. I ate half the packet.
One thing about the Camino, you certainly know all about eating, I feel like a teenager again, just want to raid fridges as much as possible.

We only walked 10km's today, listening to our bodies, thanks for the tip boet.














































5 comments:

  1. This all looks amazing, so sorry I can't do this with you!!!
    Thanks for placing the stones for my folks, brought me to tears.
    I see you are getting some experience with the self portraits.. :-) you will need to take lots of those.
    Experience it all, get in touch with your inner old self.
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving following your journey bob - love the pics & the experiences - so glad the sun has come out for you. Keep enjoying & munching :) and walking strong! Such an amazing adventure - sending lots of love xx (and will sort out this anonymous thing soon....) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darren, love your blog. Cannot wait everyday to read and to see where you have been. It looks absolutely beautiful. Thank you for taking us along your journey. Gillian Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK Darren! you are doing what you wanted to do which is inspire me! reading about what you are seeing and looking at these beautiful photos of places that I now also want to see (while sitting at my boring desk in Corporate Politics) makes me realise just how brave you were to get where you are! I did know that but now I REALLY know that! LOL! that making any sense? hmm, gonna have to make some changes! Lots of love my friend - you look like you are doing so well, keep it up! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly amazing. Really want I need in my life.I can imagine the emotions you must be going through. Keep well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.