Friday 3 May 2013

Day 1 SJPDP to Orisson

Lets just say, not the easiest of days but that's not surprising being my first day and climbing to an altitude about 650 metres above sea level. The views of the mountains were absolutely stunning. The rain eased a bit as I left however it's damn cold, typical SA winter temperatures, not my idea of fun at all.
I somehow managed the climb of 8km's to Orisson. It's just uphill all the way with very few level paths.
It felt to me like I did no training at all, only the legs felt good. The lower back has taken major strain, would have been worse without a backpack. I ate two apples on my way up, the best Granny Smiths ever.

I met Currie along the road out of SJPDP, a delightful lady from USA. Turned out we staying in the same room in Refuge Orisson, we have really enjoyed some good chats today.
At dinner time I met people from all over the globe. We had veggie soup to start, lamb with beans for main course and a very yummy cake for pudding.
The Refuge gives you a coin and that's your one shower you get for a total of 5mins, so tomorrow is what I call a dirty walk....
Thrown out of my comfort zone in a big way but hey I am big boy and so I will suck it up.

Tomorrow I have an entire day to do 17.5 km's, lets see how it goes. Plenty of rest stops will be required, fortunately the Refuge is making a picnic lunch for tomorrow. No shops around here at all.

























2 comments:

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.