Wednesday 1 May 2013

In and around SJPDP

I arrived in this beautiful town late yesterday afternoon the 30th of April, totally exhausted and need of a bed.

Typical me, I dumped the bag at my hotel and headed into town for a couple of hours. I managed to find my hostel for this evening, first bit of shared accommodation starts tonight.

This town totally takes your breath away, it has so much history and simply beautiful. I could not think of a better place to start my pilgrimage.

The population of St. Jean Pied de Port is only 1600, if you include pilgrims it will probably triple for any given day.
The town is the ancient Capital of the Basque region of Basse-Navarre. I love this medieval atmosphere with cobble stone narrow streets. I am very pleased that I have one full day here.





























3 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful and peaceful. ENJOY. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be so amazing to start on this journey and I'm sure that all of us are there with you in spirit! Enjoy and take care, Dar! :) Rolene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooooo excited for you! Live it & Love it!

    Lynette

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.