Thursday 23 May 2013

Day 21 Burgos to Hornillos del Camino

After a good night of rest in Hotel Jacobeo  I popped downstairs for breakfast. I met Erika, a South African who now lives in Canada.
We decided to have breakfast together and have a little chat. 
Within an hour I was on the road, a good 4km's to get out of Burgos.
I took a slow stroll past the Catheral and took a few pics. There was something about the city that kept me back. I did not want to leave in a hurry, it felt like a morning walk back home not worrying about time. I eventually past the last suburb of Burgos and I noticed this big tree and then the dirt track started. It was a requirement to get off the hard pavements and roads as my shins were showing signs of overuse.

The wind came up as I left town and entered the open fields heading up towards the railway tunnel. I met up with a Spanish couple and they had just started the Camino in Burgos. The year before they had walked from SJPDP to Burgos. It's really cheap to split up the Camino when you live in Europe. They doing about 200km's every year.
As soon as I went under the tunnel I was greeted with a river and trees, felt like I was in paradise again.
Then I joined the side of the main road until I arrived in Tardajos, time to stop after 11km's. I ordered a tortilla and Kas Lemon to drink. I walked outside and sat down and found a crowd of people, the energy did not feel great so it was a "gobble and go" for me.
I walked through the beautiful town of Tardajos all alone, seemed like everyone was having siesta. It was one of those quiet moments I have grown to love.
I walked for another 2.3km's and landed up in the town of Rabé de las Calzadas. Do I stop or not ? I carried on for another 7.7 km's to Hornillos del Camino.
As I was walking up from Rabé de las Calzadas to Hornillos del Camino I caught up with two ladies and noticed the South African flag on their backpacks. Good to meet Lizette and Veronica. Lizette is from Kimberly and knows somebody who works with Dee Kidson (my second cousin), a very small world. Veronica stays in Cape Town. We had a great time on the walk and they checked in at the same Albergue as did I.
That's another story as the Albergue was full, so we actually stayed in what was the town hall. We had to walk to the Albergue to go and shower.  I shared with 11 other people and slept on a top bunk without a ladder.  The bug spray got used for the second time, I take no chances. I really get a bit of everything on this Camino.
I was very thankful for sun, I managed to do washing and hang it out to dry.
There was no wifi access in this little town.
After dinner at the pub we were all in bed at 20:30 as you cannot find anything going on with a population of 70.

I should not have walked this far today but I thought the last 7.7km's was 5.3km's. I skipped a marker in the book for the picnic spot. It was clearly mean't to happen as I met Lizette and Veronica.
I think 21km's is enough for one day.
































7 comments:

  1. Looking so well,great to meet two South Africans & one even knowing Dee small world!!Pictures are stunning scenery & towns so beautiful, how are you going to cope with the hustle & bustle of city life on your return!! The peace & tranquility must be amazing giving you so much time to reflect,what an awesome journey. Better nights rest & keep strong Love Mom & Dad xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad all is well. I guess the Camino gave you what you needed not what you wanted as usual. Imagine meeting someone from Cape Town. You are doing so well with your longer walks. You will be done in no time with lots of time to go to the coast. Keep up the good work. Meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you seemed to have missed a day. Went from Tuesday to Thursday. Oh well the pics are great. My friends and family who were following your blog all want you to come to Muskoka for a visit. I have a spare room! wish I was still walking, haven't walked anywhere since I've been home...Good bye muscles! Meme

      Delete
  3. 21 k's, Dar! That's awesome! You are really looking well! Saw the photo of the cat - I'm sure you are missing yours? Small world indeed - imagine meeting 2 Saffers - what a joy! I look at this mad hustle and bustle around here and I can just imagine how peaceful it must be on your walks. Strongs, my friend and God bless! :) Rolene

    ReplyDelete
  4. You looking like a real adventurer bob! Baard & all :))) So glad sun out again for you & those ladies look like fun :-) 21 kms - wow, very impressive! Very proud of you! These pics are beautiful - looks soooo peaceful - just want to pack up & join you. Enjoy the freedom and tranquility of your amazing walk. Thinking of you so much, love bob xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making such great progress! Love the pics xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW you meet my frieds. Lizette and Ronni. You did a great job with the blog. Its like I do the Camino again. Great memorries.
    Have a good time. Will follow you till the end
    Kleintjie South Africa

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.