Sunday 12 May 2013

Day 11 Viana to Logroño

This morning I woke up around 7ish.
Utter bliss not having 10 other pilgrims trying to do a rush pack at 6 am around my bed.
I staggered down to breakfast. It was rather nice having all the other yummy foods we do not normally get like eggs and cheese.
Meme and I made a decision that we were not walking far today, it is a rest day, lets not forget it is Sunday after all. 
Thank goodness for that as I have a sore throat and the nose is running a little. After 11 days of hiking in somewhat odd temperatures the body has taken a lot and the last 2 days doing 43km's is just about enough for me.
I am fortunate as I have a lot of time to complete the Camino therefore not stressed to bring the mileage down for a day or two of recovery.
The walk from Viana to Logroño was  a lovely scenic walk, flowers everywhere.... SNIFF :-(
As we walked down the hill to Logroño past the site of the prehistoric city of Cantabria, we were met by an old lady named Felisa, apparently the niece of the legendary gatekeeper of the Camino also named Felisa. I was very pleased as Felisa stamped my Camino passport for me. I bought a pin for my hat to support her.
We then headed into town, an old man gave us a pamphlet for a Pensión. We then popped in at the Camino office and found the same  Pensión listed. 
After a short 10km walk we checked into Pensión Parque del Ebro. The place is new, it feels like a guesthouse which is what I need right now. It is well known that the Camino gives you what you need and that's what is happening at the moment.
After a lovely afternoon nap, I felt human again.
Logroño is a university city with a population of about 130000.
The city is the capital of the wine growing region of La Rioja. I must say I do love Spanish wines.
The people in this city are friendly and they wish us well on our Camino, good to feel welcomed.
Meme and I went out for a yummy dinner and enjoyed a bottle of La Rioja wine.

A little hay fever has set in, fortunately the lady at the Farmacia could speak English and gave me the much needed drugs.

That's about it for today.































1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures and your journal. Rest up and power up for the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.