Saturday 25 May 2013

Day 24 Boadilla del Camino to Fròmista

This morning I woke up with flash lights. A Spanish couple decided that they will get up at 5:30am, make a noise and get out by 6am
There was rather a lot of moaning going on as they were 30mins earlier than what is allowed in an Albergue. 
I just stayed in my sleeping bag and eventually removed my ear plugs. By 6am a few other people emerged and then the usual began. 
I knew I  was not going far so I did not rush at all. It does not take long to walk 6km's.
After packing up I headed to the restaurant for breakfast. Jayne was there so we enjoyed breakfast together. Albergue En El Camino was such a wonderful place that you don't want to leave. I said my goodbyes and left around 8:30am, I knew Jane would eventually catch up as I was walking half my normal pace to save the shin.
For the first 20 minutes I was alone leaving the town, all I could hear were birds singing in the trees around me. Despite the discomfort I made an effort to take note of my surroundings. I may never walk this road again, or maybe I will. We never know what is in the future, best I enjoy the moment right now. I stopped to take pics, many pilgrims are just walking as quick as possible to get to the town at the end of a Camino stage.
It's not that easy to make it your own journey with all the hype around. That is why staying in a hotel removes you from the crowd of pilgrims and allows you the space required to reflect on your own journey.
Jayne eventually caught up to me as did the Irish guy and American lady.
They went on and Jayne kindly walked at my pace into Frómista. We had a lovely discussion about life, picked up where we left off at breakfast. We just get one another I guess.
The two of us stopped off at Hotel San Martin and I checked in.
The hotel is next to Iglesia San Martín (consecrated in 1066) and one of the finest examples of pure Romanesque in Spain.
We enjoyed a coffee together and Jayne did Reiki on my shin.
My room had a bath so I lay in it for an hour, what a pleasure.
Then it was time to find the Farmacia, I needed something for the shin. The pharmacist said I should stay off the leg for two days if I am in serious pain. He gave me some cream he makes and patches for the shin. 
Then I popped in at the shop and took a slow walk to Iglesia de San Pedro a 15th century gothic church to take a few pics.
By then the shin needed some time off the ground.
Vino tinto on tap in the pub next to the hotel.
A very relaxed afternoon to myself.

Lets see what tomorrow brings. The next town is only 3.5km's away.
Slowing down is an option but stopping is not. I may need one full rest day if the shin requires it. So be it.























3 comments:

  1. D your pics are truly awesome - you are having the journey of a lifetime. All the very best with the shin story. We will keep walking with you ! Glenda x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are are privileged to experience this pilgrimage with you through an excellent daily blog. The pics and commentary absolutely professional. You will have to compile a compile a complete catalogue once you have completed your journey.
    We cannot wish for better; keep it up. A pity about the shins; avoid any serious debilitating injury

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care of that shin. It has to last you a life time. But don't loose the muscles. Mine are gone already. I love all your pics.
    But it really makes me wish I was there. Great that you keep meeting new people along the way. Thanks so much for posting stuff on facebook while we were together. I'm amazed at how many of my friends and family saw it. Had them guessing at the picture of me on the bed at the hotel. I had to swear it wad 2 singles pushed together. Take care oops
    Meme

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.