Monday 20 May 2013

Day 19 Villafranca Montes de Oca to Atapuerca

Today I managed 18.5km's at a reasonably fast rate. I am rather delighted that I could walk so fast again.
Breakfast was at 7:30am, coffee and a pastry. I managed to load some information to the blog and Facebook. 
It was a great morning as the rain had stopped. I would much rather have mud than rain, at least you remain somewhat dry, on top anyway.
Leaving the road you enter a very muddy path going straight up above the town, yet again very grateful for trekking poles.
I was taking it extremely slow as the knees take a good 4km's to become pain free at a very easy pace. It's not pain that requires drugs more discomfort, the cold weather does not help either. 
After that initial climb it levelled off and I really enjoyed my walk with all trees around me.
I met a lovely Australian lady by the name of Leigh, we had a good chat until we reached Monumento de Los Caídos. A monument to the fallen Caídos during the Spanish civil war.

The energy levels kicked in and I sped up in a big way, it did not take me long to arrive in San Juan de Ortega after 8.5km's of walking from the monument.
San Juan was a disciple of Santa Domingo and became known for his great works to serve the pilgrim's to Santiago. He built bridges, churches, hospitals and hostels throughout the region.
I was a little hungry, so I popped in at the bar. It felt crowded, about 10 people and that's all I could handle. I bought a drink and left quickly.  I am finding it very difficult to be around a lot of noisy people. 
I left the town and entered beautiful woodlands, I was all alone, not a pilgrim around. I listened to birds and enjoyed the solitude. Yet another moment of absolute silence occurred, it was just amazing. I stood still and all I could hear was my own breathing. It's not often we have these moments in life, I took it all in before walking on.
I then walked down a steep hill into the town of Agés, rather an interesting town but I had sights on Atapuerca. It was only 2.5km's from Agés so I picked up the pace and hoped I would find a bed. 

Atapuerca is a UNESCO World Heritage site, declared in 2000.
This town is apparently where our ancestors came from.  The earliest human remains were found dating back 900000 years providing a record of the way of life of the first human communities.

I walked into the town and most places were full. I checked in at Albergue El Peregrino for a grand total of 8 Euro for the night, sharing with 5 other people. It has its advantages and disadvantages.
At least they have washing machines that dry as well and that was 6 Euro a load. It will be good to head off with clean clothes again tomorrow.
Tonight I will find a restaurant serving a pilgrim menu, I need to load up as tomorrow I need to cover some distance to make Burgos.  It's a total of 20km's.

That's me done for this day.

































3 comments:

  1. That must be so amazing to just be alone, just yourself and your thoughts. Nobody else distracting you. It is these times that you can find many answers.
    Those forests look absolutely stunning. Nature is incredible. We just have to take the time out to appreciate it. The towns are also so beautiful and clean!
    Great that you are picking up the pace. Keep moving forward! Xx Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Darren , you are getting stronger and that is a camino in itself. I am so jealous would love to do it again. Love following your blog. Savor every moment and enjoy the freedom. Take care! S@OM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi bob - catching up with u again after being offline for a bit - hope u better, knees, throat & all. Amazing to see your experiences - LOVE your humour - the bit about being crowded with 10 people - can so relate : ))) Looks like your weather improving. Am sure u missing Meme, but just know u will soon link up with more like minded pilgrims. Go strong bob, lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.