Tuesday 21 May 2013

Day 20 Atapuerca to Burgos

Staying in an Albergue means minimal sleep for me as you always have someone making a noise or heading out to the loo in the middle of the night.
I really felt for the Irish guy next to me, he was in severe pain with shin splints. 
The Albergue began to emerge around 5:30am just as I was in the mood to sleep.
I looked out the window and noticed clear skies. Woohoo, I could trade the Seal Skinz socks for the Salomon socks.  This also mean't not dressing the backpack with its lovely raincoat.
This Albergue did not serve breakfast so I munched on two muesli bars to kick off the morning. 
Then headed to the showers, again the only one showering in the morning, lots and lots of hot water.
I packed up and headed to the restaurant down the road for breakfast. 
I bumped into Lauren a 19yr old Australian I met last night at dinner. She was full of fun and reminded me of Caitlin Firth. I joined her and an American for breakfast. We headed off together and don't think I have laughed so much in ages. It helps when you trying to warm up the old decrepit knees.
From the town of Atapuerca it's simply straight up a hill for 2.4km's to Punto de Vista a high point at 1070m. (See pic of me at Cruceiro)
The views of Burgos are really beautiful from that viewpoint.
Then the sun disappeared for the day, nothing unusual I guess. 
We carried on through an old town called Orbaneja Riopico, stopped for coffee and some food. 
We set off again and then we crossed the freeway. It was either the muddy river trail to Burgos or through the industrial area.
Lauren and the rest of the group took the muddy trail. I went via the industrial area, very boring but I was grateful when it started raining. The shins do however pay the price of walking on roads and sidewalks.
I popped into a coffee shop and bought a double espresso in order to get the owner to help with my poncho.
It's not easy to get it on and over your backpack alone. I must say in general the Spanish people are rather friendly and helpful.
Entering the busy city did not impress me much. I have become a country kinda guy, I need nature to remain calm. The need to become alert while walking the streets is not my idea of fun. 
Eventually I got into old town and checked into the Jacobeo hotel. A room to myself with a private bathroom, at least I can have a good nights rest.

Today really felt good, the body is tired after 20km's of walking.

That's me done for today. Not much to blog today.





















9 comments:

  1. The pics of the modern part of the city almost look out of place. Thank goodness the ancient buildings prevail. The going seemed easier today and the weather is easing preparing you for the hotter days to come.
    Enjoy your night in the private hotel.
    Love,
    Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dar! Still following you daily, tho I do not comment always! I'm so many, many miles away from you, but I feel as if I'm walking with you! Well done so far - you are going to make it and I'm so proud of you! I cannot but think that the youngster I welcomed at OM so many moons ago, is now an absolute stunning young man who has achieved so much in life! God bless! :)

    Rolene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for those kind words Rolene.
      You took me under your wing all those years ago when I needed it most. For that I am so grateful.

      Delete
  3. Wow bob - you doing good mileage the last 2 days - impressive :) Love your pics & your writing style is so enjoyable. Also love your comment @ Lauren & Caitlin - i miss u both so much - she been gone for a month nearly too - also, like yourself - having the most amazing experiences. But she's back on Sun & we will then both track your blog & your incredible journey:))) Lots of love & go strong bob! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am missing you loads. This journey is even better with friends and family supporting me.
      Thanks so much.
      Love,
      Bob

      Delete
  4. Hi Darren, oh wow, the last 2 pictures are stunning. I would want to just stand and stare at some of those buildings. You must be loving everything that you see. It is all so incredible.
    Honestly, I would never have pictured you doing this. Getting out of the daily comforts, muddy shoes, walking in rain, sharing showers - lol. But you are proof that if we want to change our lives, we need to step out of our comfort zone, do things that we wouldn't normally do and just do it! Well done and keep on walking. Gillian xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so right, that comfort zone holds you back in life. As you get older you realise that change is required to grow. I am doing just that.
      Thanks for the daily comments.

      Delete
  5. Have you ever seen the poster of the doors of Dublin? Well you could do one of the bells of the Camino or the church towers of the Camino. Keep up the good work. (I'll see if this comment goes through)Meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meme,

      I have received your comment.
      Send me a pic to my e-mail of the Dunlin poster.

      Love,
      D

      Delete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.