Wednesday 15 May 2013

Day 14 Azofra to Cirueña

This morning I headed to the bathroom and looked out the window, it was raining. Typical Cape Town set in rain. When you hiking it simply means you get wet no matter what you wearing. 
After a lovely breakfast we set off from Azofra in the rain. I had so much clothing on I felt like some Space cadet. It's something you have to do in order to keep the contents of your bag dry.
As soon as we hit the tracks, it was a mud experience of note. Yet again I was very grateful for my trekking poles to stabilise me. I should have worn my gaiters under my rain pants, clearly a learning experience.
At one point the mud got so bad I was hardly moving and I thought my feet would be soaked through as I do not walk in Gortex shoes.
There is nothing like Seal Skinz socks, they work like a dream when the shoes get wet.
After approx 1km we were on a muddy road but it was far easier to walk, the rain just continued. 
Meme reminded me to smell the roses, a little more challenging than other day's, I took in what I could rain and all.  
It was really difficult to take pics but I managed a few.
I said to Meme,  the first town I see I will check in immediately. Lucky for us it was only 10km's and we were in Cirueña. 
We first stopped off at the Albergue and they were closed, the owner told us to go to the Cafe and wait until 1:30pm. We headed up into the older parts of the town and across the road we found Casa Victoria a private Pensión. I rang the bell and we were welcomed in by a lovely Spanish middle aged couple. We walked around the side of the house as we were soaked and full of mud.
I was just relieved to find a warm home with a shower and a bed.
The shoes were loaded with rolled up newspaper and put on top of the boiler in the little room to dry.
It was only 10 degrees outside, a lovely cold wet Cape Town winter's day in my mind.
After a hot shower we handed in our washing and 3 Euro later it gets delivered back to us clean, what a bargain.
It was time to venture out about 10 metres into the cafe for a light lunch and glass of wine. That warmed us up.
One women had passed out and an ambulance came to fetch her, seemed like the end of her Camino. A very very sad moment. In this weather you have to remember to drink water.
Meme took an afternoon nap and  I sat in the lounge downstairs writing this blog and checking out FB.
I was presented with hot coffee and cookies, how delightful spending time with these wonderful people in this village. It helps having the translate app on my phone in order to communicate.
Lets hope we have better weather tomorrow.











3 comments:

  1. Quite a day in the rain. So fortunate that the next village was only 10 k's away giving you the well deserved comforts. Enjoy and better luck with the weather tomorrow.
    Love mom and dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just sooo proud of you, D! Keep going! :)
    Rolene

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hectic day! - well done on pushing ahead in that weather - so proud of you !! Glad you found that nice casa to rest & warm up. Take care & hope the weather is kinder to you on your next day :)) Glad you got your sticks in that mud & hope the knee behaving. Keep strong, stay warm, love bob xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.