Monday 27 May 2013

Day 26 Villarmentero de Campos to Carrión De Los Condes

Today I am thinking of Lynette Rouncivell and Petra Kleinhans. A very dear friend of theirs, Cecile du Plessis passed away yesterday afternoon.
In memory of Cecile I placed a stone and a flower on my route today, may she rest in peace. Cherish the wonderful memories you have of Cecile.

There was a lady in La Casona that served me yesterday and this morning. I realised she did most of the work including making food for me. She was so kind to me and I felt so welcomed in the Casa Rural. 
This morning I passed on a gift of thanks. To see her face light up with such an amazing smile of gratitude nearly moved me to tears. It makes me wonder if people take her for granted. 

After that I set off around 8:15am, a cold wind blowing and lots of black clouds. I really hoped I would not get any rain along the way.  Luckily I did not.
I stopped off 4.3km's later in Villalcázar de Sirga for a drink. 
The town has welcomed pilgrims since the 12th century and became a commandery of the Knights Templar.
The Templar church was unfortunately closed, I was just a bit early.

I met a women in the pub and she was only walking to Carrión de Los Condes, turns out we in the same Albergue tonight

I walked the last 6km pain free so I think the shin and knee are now ready for a little more mileage.

I walked into the town in search of spíritu Santo Conv. Jayne told me about the peaceful energy in the Convent last night on whatssapp.
She was 100% correct and so very clean. The nuns work really hard for the 5 Euro per person per night. They were so friendly to me despite not being able to speak a word of English.
The men and women have separate rooms and bathrooms. It's the first I have seen on the Camino.
They had a state of the art washing machine and dryer. It's wonderful having a backpack full of clean clothes again for 3.5 Euro.

The town has a medieval atmosphere, my kind of place to rest.
Strolled through the town this afternoon and briefly met another South African.
I am enjoying the solitude and not connecting with anyone, it's where I want to be right now.

Tomorrow I have to do 17km's to the next stop, there are no other towns.
Lets hope the limbs play nicely.






























3 comments:

  1. So interesting to read about the different emotional phases that you are going through. The pilgrimage is definitely working for your.
    As always the pics are amazing.
    Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That beard is getting pretty heavy.... Glad the shin and knee are feeling better, don't overdo it tomorrow, you have all day....well lots of time anyway. Glad you are getting into your own time and space. I hope I can do that this week as I haven't really had time to internalize my camino yet.( as much as I like to be with the kids, I need time on my own too)Keep up the great work/walk. I love doing it through you.
    Meme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics! I see those interesting trees are back in the photo's again - I find them fascinating!
    You are looking really good Darren, Keep it up my friend. Enjoyed the whatsup chat on Sunday- Am back at work, the exams are over thank Heavens! cheers

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.