Saturday 11 May 2013

Day 10 Los Arcos to Viana

This morning I woke up and as usual it was cold.  The toilets and showers were outside, just not good at all when the wind is blowing.
European spring = SA winter
One small difference, Europe has some flowers to prove it is spring.
I needed a beanie today under the floppy hat. Meme thinks I am crazy but then again she is from Canada and this weather is warm enough for her.
After a lovely breakfast.... NOT... Bread, Jam and coffee for all of 4 Euro's, we set off from Los Arcos.

The walk from Los Arcos to Sansol was a cold one but rather picturesque. 
My friend Helene gave me a stone to place for her, I found a lovely spot for it and took some pics. I do find these moments really special and emotional.
We arrived in Sansol what looked like a ghost town, found a bench and ate some padkos. 
From Sansol we walked another 1km to Torres del Rio Plaza, we bumped into Laura and Jamie from the States. I met them on my second day of the Camino leaving Roncesvalles. We sat down for a coffee, I tucked into an egg roll and Meme had some fruit.
At this point it was decision making time. Do we check in at this lovely Albergue or push on to Viana another 10.6km's.  We went ahead and walked along some beautiful hilltops and farmlands.
After finally arriving Viana (resident pop 3500) we were somewhat tired and wondered how many beds might be available in this relatively small medieval town. No beds would mean another 10km's to Logroño.
Walking through the streets on the Camino route, Meme looked up and there was a hotel. 
You could actually see the skid marks at the door, it took 2 secs to fly up the stairs to reception.
We asked for a room and there was one room left, we took it. The man at reception wanted to know if it's okay if we shared. Ah hell yes, my first bit of luxury since the 1st of May. What about the cost, at that point I could care less. The cost actually equals 4 days at an Albergue but oh so worth it. We decided to book a massage as well, then a lovely hot bath.
To crown it all we had a 3 course meal in the hotel, finally celebrating Meme's 60th in style.
Now I am in bed with sheets, no sleeping bag, how totally fabulous.
Oh how we have learnt to appreciate the smaller things in life that we usually take for granted.

Tomorrow we head to Logroño, approx 10km's.
We need to give our bodies a bit of a break.





























1 comment:

  1. Those buildings are so beautiful and of course, so are all the flowers. So nice to see such colour. I would probably start to cry every time I come across such gorgeous scenery. You are going so well. You are doing something that most of us wish we can do. Glad to also see that you are having fun along the way. Keep on walking (and drinking - love it!). Gillian.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.