Tuesday 14 May 2013

Day 13 Ventosa to Azofra

Sharing a room with 8 other people can be challenging but I did not think it would be this bad. 
The guy in the bunk bed above me was tossing and turning so much that he was dropping things down the side of the bed landing on mine and then smacking the floor. All this was happening during the early hours of the morning hence minimal sleep Albergue style.
Then the clock struck 5:45am and some dude's alarm went off. Then it all began, the Amazing "Camino" Race started. 6 of the 8 people were up and rush packing like they needed to be somewhere in 5 mins or they would be late. The first thing that came to mind were the days of living in Parklands, I would get up at 5am and rush like mad to get on the road before the traffic. These people looked like they were heading to work. I could feel the stress around me. At that point I decided breakfast in bed (sleeping bag) could work. I pulled out two muesli bars and munched away looking at this fiasco unfolding around me. I suddenly thought to myself, Meme and I have a fabulous opportunity, in approx 2 mins we have a small room with nobody in it and all the space in the world to do our packing.
I got up and headed to the shower, this Albergue turns off the hot water at night, so I had a cold one, about a 30sec rinse off was all I was prepared to endure as it was only 9 degrees outside.
After all that we set off at about 7:30am, felt like it was the middle of the night for us as we usually depart somewhat later.
First thing required was  breakfast, we managed 200m and found a restaurant, I settled for a tortilla and espresso.
Then we headed out of town along a pathway through the vineyards past the beehive hut to Nájera approx 10km's of walking.
We arrived in Nájera and looked for the nearest coffee shop, a refuel required.
Nájera is yet another historic town the capital of the Kingdom of Navarre in the 11th and 12th centuries.
We walked past the Parroquia de Santa Cruz and Iglesias Santa Clara. I wish I had more time to spend a few nights in this beautiful town.

From Nájera we walked along the long dusty road past farmlands. I noticed two birds of prey above us gliding along.  I told Meme to stop walking and just be silent. It took my breath away, it was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. The birds stopped tweeting, the wind died down and we were left with a beautiful silence. A moment on the Camino I will never forget. The beauty of nature in all its glory,  there I was taking in every moment offered to me. This is much needed soul food.
After 5.8km's we were in Azofra a quiet village with a population of about 500 people. There is very little going on in this town other than a little shop, restaurant and bar.
I was seriously not in the mood for an  Albergue tonight, I needed some space after last night. 
I looked up and saw a three star hotel in what looked like an old castle. We walked in only to find this three star looking more like a five star.  Needless to say we checked into Real Casona de las Amas. 
As I write this post today I am sitting in the beautiful lounge sipping tea and  listening to mood music. One way to relax those weary muscles.

At the moment I am 577km's from Santiago, I have completed 204km's so far. I am averaging about 15km's a day and that kind of works for me right now considering I have knee issues.

Over and out for now.



























5 comments:

  1. Darren, your hike sounds absolutely amazing. Walking from town to town at your pace, taking in the scenery. You are so right, it is not a race, it is a once in a lifetime experience, why rush it and miss out. If I did this walk, I would do exactly what you are doing. I told Paul, I would love to do this but would only be able to once the kids are old. By then I would be so old and decrepid - would have to use a walker!!!!
    In the meantime, I can do this journey via your blogs. Keep on walking and keep n keeping all so informed. Thanks Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a beautiful country side and a cozy looking hotel. You and Meme are fortunate to be sharing in these hotels cutting costs in half.
    Better night,s rest for you both after last night and pleasant walking tomorrow.
    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate all the feedback. It makes the journey even more special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi d, i hope ur spanish googler come in handy. Wow an amazing journey with some beauty pictures. Have an awesome time weary muscle , wet weather nd all. Keep us posted. Roshaan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just caught up with a few days of your journey again bob - wow, your pics are too beautiful and in one day you have more experiences than we do in a week/month! How awesome. You are doing great - that hotel looks stunning :))) keep strong, look after yourself and enjoy the freedom & the beauty, love bob xxx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.