Thursday 16 May 2013

Day 15 Cirueña to Redecilla del Camino

Today was a good day,  17km's and felt very strong, could do a lot more. The knee is improving, much to my delight.
I may push over 20km's a day very soon.

This morning I woke up and looked out the window and all I saw was black clouds. I thought to myself another day of rain is on the cards.
I very quickly got that thought out of my head as being positive on the Camino is everything.
The next minute Meme mentioned the sun was up, how cool was that.

We headed down to breakfast with a few other pilgrims and enjoyed an omelette, toast and coffee.
Then we packed up and hit the road in the glorious sunshine despite the lurking black clouds.
It was rather cold outside but I did not think much of it until the wind came up. At that point I knew there was snow around, it was freezing. As we went along we got a view of the beautiful snow capped mountains. Thank goodness for the beany I brought with to help keep the head and ears warm.
The last time I checked it was spring.... NOT !!!!!!! Cold is far better than rain, so I just laughed to myself about it.
6km's later we were in the town of Santa Domingo de la Calzada. I was on a huge mission to find coffee and food due to the cold weather.
There was not a lot going on in the town but I managed to sniff out a coffee shop. Had a lovely tortilla and coffee at El Meson Abuelo. 
I really enjoyed this old town dating back to the 11th century. Saint Dominic of the Road dedicated his life to improving the roads, bridges and pilgrim route. This is one town I would like to visit again.
Then we headed out of town on a pathway next to the highway, not exactly beautiful but I felt strong for the climb ahead to Grañón. 
Grañón is a walled town inspired by the Camino. A very small town, it seemed rather quaint, so we stopped to refuel and bumped into Laura again. It's always lovely meeting up with the Camino family along "The Way".
After the little pitstop we followed the Camino arrows out of the town.
I looked up and all saw was rain coming. 
We carried on along the farm tracks entering the Castilla Y León region, the largest autonomous region in Spain. At this point I picked up my pace a lot, I was feeling very strong.
It started to rain but fortunately the cold wind blew the storm easterly, it did not last long at all.
I popped in at the tourist information centre at Redecilla del Camino and asked for a  Pensión in the town. Meme was a good few minutes behind so arranged the check in at Casa Rural Redecilla del Camino.
Time to relax after 17km's of walking.
I took a stroll around the town and it was just freezing. I flew back into the bar and ordered a hot chocolate.

Lets see what tomorrow brings.










































5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful country side. Thanks for sharing these lovely pics with us. Pleased you are getting stronger and your knee is improving.
    Nice to hear you are in your stride now.
    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see all your smiles! Glad to hear your knee is feeling a bit better. You did it he right way, go at your own pace. Also nice to read that you are sampling all the coffee! Enjoy xx Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, really dirty shoes.. not lekka walking through mud..
    Hope the weather improves

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the knee is better and good going, Dar! Sleep nice! Rolene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving your blog. Like waiting for the next episode of my favorite soapie! Hope the weather improves soon... Although it's not as bad as the UK. They have just had snowfalls in Devon.,Kel,xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.