Monday 20 May 2013

Day 18 Belorado to Villafranca Montes de Oca

Today I am grateful for so many things:
1. My health has improved
2. Met a Scottish couple in their 70's (career guidance)
3. Met a Japanese man in his 70's ( Spiritual guidance)
4. It hardly rained much whilst I was walking
5. Trekking poles to get through the mud
6. My problems are small in comparison to what I have seen today

I woke up feeling somewhat better this morning, pleased the meds kicked in. I guess I am wise to travel
with the right kit. 
When I looked at my watch it was 7am, I had slept for 9 hours without waking up once. Clearly my body required sleep in a big way.
I cleaned up a little and headed down for breakfast. 
5 mins later the Scottish couple I met last night arrived and joined me at my table.
They were really friendly to me and we got on to the subject of career's. The man, I forget his name now, was a secondary school teacher before retirement. He mentioned he had the most rewarding career ever. I discussed my career and the possible future changes. Needless to say it was difficult to leave the breakfast table as I got so much encouragement from him and his wife. It's really amazing how people cross your path just at the right time. 
My senses are heightened now, so I miss nothing that occurs around me.

I set off at 8:45am, in the rain, nothing unusual about that.
As I walked past the church I bumped into Dorothy and her husband. They are both in there late 70's from the States. I helped Dorothy with her Wifi at the Albergue at SJPDP on the 1st of May. It was a lovely reunion as I wondered what had happened to them. They were having a rest day today and were on the look out for the Convent. I wonder if they found it as I walked past the Convent on the way out of town.

As I left Belorado it was time to get muddy again, back on those farm tracks again.
The walk from Belorado to Tosantos was 4.8km's. I was completely alone, not even one pilgrim around at all. I enjoyed the countryside and beautiful views. The mind ticks over to so many different things when you in nature alone. I was just so pleased I was feeling better and able to walk, so very very blessed to be given another day of walking.
I got to Tosantos relatively quickly, I noticed a beautiful church practically carved into the surrounding hill. I have not seen this on the Camino, did a quick zoom and took a pic.
Literally 2km's later I was in Villambistia Iglesia San Rogue and that's when I met up with a Canadian lady (Elaine) I met in Cirueña, we stayed in the same Pensión that evening a couple of days back.  I really felt for her as her right shin was very red and inflamed. The ice pack was out and I could see she had minimal time left. The worst part is that last year was also a failed attempt and this is just not easy for her. Her aim was to get to Villafranca and get a bus to nearest airport to fly home.
From there I walked another 1.7km's to Espinosa del Camino. I found a very old Albergue that probably dates back many many years, took a pic.
The final 3.4km's was very interesting. I met up with a Japanese man in his early 70's. (I ask people what age they are) He asked about my career, I told him it was IT and left my job. He said that's good as IT is killing the Japanese people as they working themselves to death.  He said to me, " You are in the best place, go find what works for you" 
We discussed a lot of interesting things, we clearly met for a reason. 
Minnor has done the Japanese Camino (1200km's). It's a spiritual pilgrimage that really changes a person. 
The island of Shikoku has 88 Sacred Sites which connect on a pilgrimage trail. The route of the 88 temples of Shikoku is the Japanese Buddhist pilgrimage. For thousands of years, only the Japanese followed the path to the remote places of the island, but over the last thirty years anybody can walk the trail. The walk around the perimeter of the island can take between 50 and 60 days to complete if done in the traditional manner. In my mind food for thought. 
When I arrived in Villafranca I said goodbye to Minoor and checked in at La Alpar Gateria Casa Rural. 
I have my own room with shared bathroom, works for me right now.
When I arrived at the Casa Rural I found a very unhappy looking pilgrim, I asked him if he was staying here. He said no, he is waiting for a taxi.
I refrained from asking more information.
Many people have given up due to the weather and fast tracked to Burgos, I am just not in that space, I love what I am doing, mud, rain and cold.

Villafranca has become a truck stop, it welcomed pilgrims as early as the 9th century. There are a few Villafrancas along "The Way". It became home to Franks arriving as Pilgrims and returning as artisan's.
The village is located at the foot the Montes de Oca, formerly a wild unpopulated area. 

On a Sunday most things shut in the villages. Picked up a few supplies from the shop. Sat in my room without wifi and then went down to the kitchen. I met up with Tyler from the US. The next minute, Elaine walks in, very pleased she made it today,  tomorrow she is having a day off to rest the shin. She may go home.
It has rained the entire afternoon.
I have a few serious uphills tomorrow and more mud.
I will need to check with the locals if it's safe to go up.

That's my story for today.








































1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are pushing through 1km at a time. Amazing the people you meet along the way, they can be so inspiring and very often it takes just one person to set you in he right direction.
    Stay strong xx Gillian

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.