Thursday 9 May 2013

Day 8 Mañeru to Villatuerta

This morning I woke up around 6:00am with a few people heading to the bathroom making a noise. I looked over at Meme and it seemed that she had the same idea I had, stay in that sleeping bag for a little bit more rest before breakfast.

A little bird told me that the hot water was working again, I was in there like a shot. 
Breakfast was at 7am, bread, jam and coffee for 4 Euro. Meme got the left over salami and cheese out from yesterday, a real treat having some protein with all the horrendous carbs they feed you in Spain.
After breakfast I performed the usual packing of the backpack. The weather outside looked threatening, made sure raincoat was handy. Meme and I made the decision to walk together again today. Meme knows how to "Smell the Roses" and I am enjoying taking it all in not to mention preventing further knee injuries.

From Mañeru (village linked to the Knights of the Templar and Order of St. John) we took a scenic path through wheat fields and vineyards. I think picturesque is not the word to describe it as the pictures show. 
We walked for about 3km's and arrived in a lovely medieval village called Cirauqui. A very steep climb in the village took us through an arch (best example of a Roman road on the Camino) obviously the original gate to the village. Below the arch we found a table with a stamp, the village details were on it, I promptly stamped my pilgrim passport as did Meme.
Then we moved straight down from the hilltop village and in my case crept down to save the knee. I have this little process very well sorted thanks to my trekking poles, there is no better crutch when hiking. 
Cirauqui to Lorca was approximately 6km's, yet another beautiful walk. Meme and I were mentioning how blessed we are to experience all of this, moved to tears again. It's a regular occurrence amongst pilgrims, people do not look at you in a strange way at all.
Feeling a little tired after the climb into Lorca we decided to stop at Albergue that had a restaurant connected to it. A little bit of food could not hurt, so a nice Tortilla was ordered with two cokes. Marlene Firth would be proud of me taking on a double dose of black eno's..... Hehe
After the two huge French rolls I had at breakfast I had a massive sugar dip, not the right way to top up but my rehydrate sport was sitting deep in my backpack. 
Unpacking takes place once day not whilst I am walking.
Meme and I were enjoying our food and there I see Judy a lovely Australian lady I met a few days back minus her sister. Her sister was battling with an ankle issue and decided to make use of the bus, a very normal thing to occur on the Camino. It was lovely to meet up with Judy again, she kindly gave me suntan lotion when I needed it just before Zubiri a few days back.

From Lorca to Villatuerta Puente is approximately another 5km's. I looked into the distance and there was a lot of rain on its way, directly in the path we were headed. At that point I realised I was wearing the Salomon socks and not the Seal Skinz....... Wet shoes and socks mean blisters so I picked up the pace, left Meme a good few metres behind, at least she could still see me. As we entered Villatuerta Puente somewhat wet we found a bar and restaurant. That was it, decision made we staying the night in the town. A shorter walk today is good for my knee. I had lots more energy to carry on but best to just take it easy.
We set off from the bar and found Albergue La Màgica a 600 year old home a stunning place run by Simone and Miguel. Miguel is making a vegetable Paella tonight, much to my delight as I am desperate for vegetables. Here in the Northern parts of Spain they love meat and bread.
Simone has a washing machine and dryer so everything went in this evening besides what I have on, yippie, clean clothes again.
I took a few pics of the inside of the Albergue, it really looks stunning.
I feel like I am in a luxury hotel tonight.

Time out until the next episode.










































1 comment:

  1. Oh my word, those buildings are incredible! I am completely memorized. Your photos are so beautiful. Your blog is so interesting. The sce
    Rey would also bring me to tears. Look after your knee, you don't want to end up doing damage to it. Keep moving forward ! Gillian

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.