Tuesday 7 May 2013

Day 5 Zubiri to Trinidad de Arre

I woke up relatively early this morning as did Linda. I made my own breakfast as I was not in the mood for bread and jam. Polished off the left over corn cakes and divine Spanish cheese. The lady working in the Pensiòn could not speak a word of English. My broken Spanish did not help much but somehow sign language worked. At breakfast we met up with an elderly British couple, the man was rather rude, I just went to shower. I think my tolerance levels for hot air has become zero. I know I should not judge but I will not subject myself to that behaviour any longer.
Shame poor Linda had to eat breakfast whilst listening to him.

I was now at a point where I could do the hostel thing again. In essence it means you share a room with a lot of people and minimal bathroom facilities. The worst is a cold water shower and yes it does happen if you get in late. As I am a slow walker I need to plan carefully.

We set off at 8:30am, not too late.
Once we were past the industrial area the pathway winds through the farmlands to Larrasoaña which were spectacular, this was approx 5.3kms walk from Zubiri. We crossed over the Puente Larrasoaña medieval bridge and sat down on a bench in the town.
Linda doctored her blisters and I did backpack work. My backpack now has a mind of its own and re-adjusts itself whilst I walk. It may just get traded in for a new one soon.
After that we climbed a hill to Akerrtera with a beautiful hotel, an old basque restored house.
The old stone buildings are amazing it puts me in such a lovely mood, feels like medieval times. This is something we do not see in South Africa.
We then arrived in a beautiful town called Zuriáin, we stopped at a little restaurant/pub called El Horno. I got stuck into a Tortilla (Spanish Omelette) with ham and cheese and a beer.
We then walked around the farmlands with young wheat plantations growing.
Then we headed straight up the mountain on the opposite side of the main road. The problem for me is that which goes up must come down, my right knee does not do coming down well at all.
From there we walked under the N-135 through a tunnel onto a disused road that went down to Trindad de Arre. The first magnificent view was the medieval bridge over the río Ulzama.

Adjoining the bridge is the basilica church Convento de la Trinidad. Albergue Hermanus Maristas is run by the church. Needless to say Linda and I checked in after approx 15km's. The priest very kindly gave us a bunk bed in separate section with a door.
It's rather funny a lot of people ask if she is my mother.

After we had showered we headed into the quiet little town for supplies.

Tomorrow we head into Pamplona.
Given the issues with my right knee I may stay over or purchase knee guard and push on.

That's my story for today.
















































1 comment:

  1. Hi there what an amazing experience so enjoy following you on your journey, looking strong even though knee problems!! Weather greatly impproved, the countryside and medieval towns beautiful. Sending lots of love Mom xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.