Saturday 25 May 2013

Day 23 Castrojeriz to Boadilla del Camino

A good nights rest and I was woken up by a loo flushing. Clearly the walls were thiner than I thought.
I was a little hungry so ate a few almonds and then got ready.
It took me a while as I only left at 7:15am. Took a stroll into town and found a coffee shop open. I marched straight in to have a tortilla and espresso. 
By 8am I was on the road and I met up with Jamie on the way out of town, we had a quick chat and he went ahead on the steep hill up to Alto de Mostelares. When I got to the top I bumped into Veronica and Lizette again. It was Lizette's birthday and we took a few pics to celebrate. The views at the top were totally amazing. The beauty in this part of the world is really something special.
After that I had to contend with a very steep downhill which took it's toll on the knees and shins.
I stopped at the picnic spot called Fuente del Piojo. There was a guy providing refreshments and some fruit for donations. Then Laura came along, she reminded me that we actually met on day 1 at Orrisson on the 2nd of May. It's amazing that a few people are taking it slow like I am.
Laura and I walked together until Itero de la Vega where we stopped for another break.
Before reaching Itero de la Vega we stopped off at Ermita de San Nicolás. This was an original pilgrim hospice founded in the 12 century. The Italian confraternity restored it and it's now an Albergue. I popped in to get a stamp and take a few pics.

After the lovely pitstop in Itero de la Vega I walked a bit too fast. 3km's before reaching Boadilla del Camino my left shin started giving trouble.
The body has spoken and so I will slow down.

I checked in at Albergue En El Camino. A really nice Albergue with lots of space, a restaurant serving food with a evening pilgrim menu.
The next minute Jayne walks in, the lady I met yesterday. We enjoyed an afternoon together and a lovely dinner.

That's another 20km's done for one day.





































No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.