Wednesday 8 May 2013

Day 7 Zariquiegui to Mañeru

We all got up relatively early in our 8 man dorm. I just knew that breakfast was essential, my body was craving food in a big way.

I said my goodbyes to Linda as I realised my knee would slow her down. Her timeline is somewhat shorter than mine.
As I set off down the road I met up with Meme again. I met Meme last night at the Albergue. Meme is from Canada, a lovely lady I can connect with on so many levels. We shared some awesome moments whilst on our journey today.

2.4km's up and we were at the Alto del Perdón, a wrought iron representation of medieval pilgrims.
The views all the way up are just spectacular, not to mention all the flowers in bloom.
At the Alto del Perdón, it was a photo moment of note. The fact that I actually made it up there was an accomplishment. This was not my first mountain by a long shot.
From there it was a very steep downhill to Uterga.
I had to practically lock my right knee and crutch down on my polls. It was the only way to save the knee from a serious injury.
Besides looking like some invalid coming down the mountain, I managed to take in all the beauty. It was really calming me down, not that I needed much of that.
We landed up in Uterga and I needed to eat again. So I did just that. (See pic)
After breakfast number 2 we set off to Muruzábal, a very small town.
At this point I could do a detour and see some other places but I decided to stay on the normal route. It was a 2.8km extra walk and fortunately I missed the turnoff.

A slight incline to the next town of Óbanos. Guess what, I needed to eat again.... So I did just that. Haha
At least Meme did not mind all my millions of pitstops.
Óbanos is a beautiful town. (See pics) Meme and I sat down on a bench in the park next to the church and enjoyed a little lunch, nuts, salami and cheese. Felt like I had not eaten a thing all day. Haha

Then it was off to the town called Puente La Reina, the old town was so beautiful I wanted to stay over in a private hotel with own bed and bathroom. That was not to be as Meme and I had some strength to carry on. A very very big mistake.
I did not consult my book and the climb out was from 350m to 470m around 4.8km's going up in a big way.
We finally arrived in Maneru after eating jelly sweets to make it up in one piece, a sugar rush was required in a big way.
By this time 18km's were under our belts and Maneru seemed liked a ghost town, Siesta at its best.
Meme and I simply could not handle another 3km's and it was another accent.
We eventually found an Albergue that had beds available. Thank goodness for that. This time it's 12 beds in one room. Then I bumped into Linda, who would have thought we would have landed up in the same place.
Meme and I rushed for the showers, I managed to get the last trickle of hot water. The people who arrived after us got cold water.
Paid for dinner and breakfast, the more food the better.

That's it for today.





































































6 comments:

  1. Sjoe, lots of food (snacks) being consumed ��, where is the energy drink...
    Lovely pics, once again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful pics, so good to experiencing the journey thru. your blog.
    Spending all the energy requires a lot of input by the looks of the snacks.
    Enjoy and love,
    Mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are so so pretty! With all that walking, of course you have to eat!! I want to eat just reading your blog! Ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pics are amazing - with what you accomplished today, I am surprised you had the energy to take them :) But at least you can stop for a breather & take in the beauty... I am not surprised you got the munchies a lot with all that hectic hiking - well done & hope your knee holds up. Thank goodness for those "poles" ... lots of love, wish I was there with you - looks incredible - you doing so well bob xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!!! You are very brave!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.