Thursday 20 June 2013

Day 50 Arzúa to Arca

This morning I woke up really early for some strange reason. It's probably the fact that other pilgrims usually wake up so early and now I am getting used to it.

I left the Pensión at 7:30am, I knew it was going to be a 20km day so best to just get started.

It was rather a strange day,  I felt rather emotional as I counted down the way marks. If you have done the Camino before you will know what I mean. This is my 50th day on the Camino, it becomes part of your life and all I see now is the end in sight.

It was rather cold leaving Arzúa this morning. I can relate the temperature to a Johannesburg winter. The locals are complaining about the weather as they have not yet had summer.
I walked through the forests with a lot of other pilgrims, Camino numbers are increasing. 
By the time I got to Calzada (6km's) my sugar levels had dropped considerably and I knew I needed something fast. Casa Calzada a popular track side cafe was waiting for me. I ordered a French omelette with cheese, ham and tomato. I find it strange that you will always get tomato's raw on the side never cooked. Oh how I miss breakfasts with Rob, especially a lovely cooked English tomato and mushrooms.

I moved on through the forests through a quaint village called A calle, it's being rebuilt for the Camino.

I carried on and met up with lady who helped me yesterday with my contraption (rain poncho). She has also been on the Camino forever just like me. We shared some very good memories of what we have been through and as it turns out she felt as emotional as I did watching the way marks.
I stopped at a funky bar in Salceda for a Kas Limón, it had all kinds of graffiti on the walls, awesome pitstop.
I carried on through Cruce O Emplane and Santa Irene, crossing over main roads, in and out of forests. 
I entered San Antón with the tourist office fully operational with free wifi. It helps when you need to check bookings.
1.5km's later I was finally in Arca and found Pensión Maribel. They were full so the lady drove me down to the brand new Pensión called Casal De Cama. The trip in the car was very strange, I felt uncomfortable as I had not been in a moving object for a very long time.
I have clearly become earthed over the last 2 months.
I checked in and 1 hour later it started  raining, pleased I did not plan a marathon walk today like other pilgrims are doing.
The people here are amazing. They took me into town to buy a takeaway pizza. They really know how to make a pilgrim feel welcome. I could not think of a better place to spend my final evening on the Camino.

20km's done today and 20km's to go.

























3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how emotional you feel. I feel it reading yours and Laura's blogs and I'm not even there. I hear there are even people that just walk the last day. They will probably want to hear about your travels. Each to their own... have a wonderful walk tomorrow and go hug a saint! Laura went into see St. James coffin or something.lookingforward to hearing about your last day. Maybe I should say your triumph day or just the special day! I'll be thinking about you.
    Meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't imagine what you have grown used to, all the tranquility of rural and village environments along the way for almost 2 months, but from your comments it must be difficult to get back to the rat race of city life and what goes with it. You have certainly been cleansed of the pressures experienced at Old Mutual and what better way than the Cameno. You have enabled yourself for the next chapter so starting with a clean slate is a wonderful opportunity. Use it to the full and apply what you have learnt from the past what not to do. Enjoy the last k's.
    Love, Mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - the 2nd last day! What a journey you have been on Darren - so proud of you! lots of love

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.