Saturday 15 June 2013

Day 45 Sarria to Mercadoiro

Today was just amazing, I past the "100km to Santiago" sign and as I right this I am looking out on beautiful  mountain views sitting next to a Canadian travel consultant. 
Just when I thought the Camino was winding down the signs keep flowing in.

I left the Pensión this morning at 7:45am and that's when I noticed a lot more pilgrims around than normal.
I walked up a steep forest path to the town of Barbadello and stopped for breakfast.  I then bumped into John the Australian guy I met in Trabadelo. Good catching up on the last few days of the Camino.

I walked on through the beautiful farmlands, lets not forget the smell of cow dung. It seems to be worse when it's hot. 
I stopped again in Morgade at a nice little pub, I decided to have some cake for a change.
I then walked along to Ferreiros (formerly known for its blacksmith tradition from which its name is derived.) I was tempted to stop but I knew I could go on longer so I walked on. The walking along the farm roads and forest paths to Mercadoiro were beautiful. I did not want to stay with the masses in Portomarín so I checked into La Bodeguiña de Mercadoiro. 
I was so impressed with this Albergue with great food and mood music playing in the background.
The washing got thrown into the machine and it managed to dry in two  hours on the line. I really hope summer hangs around just a little longer.

I met Nancy the travel consultant and she was walking with Alex from Austria. What a wonderful afternoon and evening with awesome people.



















2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love lupins. I just bought some for my garden. I was looking for poppies like we saw but Spanish poppies in Canada don't look the same. I will keep looking. It brings tears to my eyes to see you at the 100 mark. Laura took a picture too. And to think of all the travel people you are meeting, I hope you are picking their brains. Best of luck for the next 100. I think I am really going miss your blogging. XO
    Meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. The days will not be the same without your blogs, so we empathize with you over the last 100k,s. Once again the pic,s and the commentary were spot on. You are certainly having an experience of a life time seeing so much of the rural side of Spain and meeting people of different countries.
    You, more than anyone, appreciates the value of this

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be appreciated, please sign your name after your message.